Maureen,

We have on-line tutoring in the Learning Assistance Center at  Paradise Valley
Community College (PVCC). We are in our third semester of the program. We
offer on-line help in two accounting courses, one math course, one chemistry
course, and in writing. On-line tutoring is available Monday through Friday,
and students get a response within 24 hours. Our on-line tutoring web sites
are developed by faculty who then serve as the on-line tutor for the first
semester. We then train tutors to monitor the site. Currently, the tutors work
in our facility, but we are exploring them working on-line from home. As for
the specific structure of the web sites and the process of development and
monitoring, this will be covered in a presentation by Jeanne Franco, PVCC
faculty, and me at the Winter Institute for Learning Assistance Professionals
in Tucson, Arizona January 4-7. To register, see the Winter Institute web
site: http://www.pvc.maricopa.edu/winterinstitute/ I encourage you to attend
if at all possible; I have found it to be a very rewarding professional
development experience. If you are unable to attend, look for the information
in the proceedings of the institute which will appear on the Winter Institute
web site afterwards.