Laura,

Perhaps she could watch C-Span. While some members of Congress are pretty
colloquial in their speeches, many of them read their speeches rather well.
The "Special Orders" speeches given in the evenings are usually longer than
the type where a member rises to give a two-minute speech for or against
pending legislation and often are carefully crafted.

Hopes this helps,
Paula

At 12:59 PM 12/2/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Fellow Listers,
>
>I have a student who is from a small, rural community where colloquial
>language does not adhere to the rules of Standard American English.  She is
>making great strides in learning how to write in Standard American English,
>but her spoken English is still straight from home.  She would like to
>change this in order to avoid the prejudices many people have against
>speakers of non-standard dialects.  She is planning to take a public
>speaking course next semester, but I think there must be an intermediate
>step she could take between now and then.  Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks and a hat tip,
>
>Laura
>
>Laura Symons
>Academic Resource Center
>Sweet Briar College
>Sweet Briar, Virginia 24595
>http://www.arc.sbc.edu
>804-381-6378

Paula Ford                                 voice: (814) 949-5112
Coordinator, Learning Resources Center
Penn State--Altoona College
3000 Ivyside Park
Altoona, PA 16601

http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/p/x/pxf3/

"Den som har drømt Udfærd og Dåd senker ej Sejl uden med Sorg." Bjørnson