Dennis Congos responded to Rosalind Lee with:

>I agree about the salary secrets here in the US.  What is so private
>about public information?  Not knowing a salary ahead of time causes
>many candidates to waste time, paper, and the valuable time and efforts
>of references.  Also, one instutitions's commensurate on salary can be a
>candidate's dream or nightmare.  The word commensurate has no meaning
>anymore in relation to jobs.
>
>If an institution omits salary from a job announcement, I begin to
>wonder why they are hiding it.  I can't speak for others, but I have
>avoided applying for several jobs because they hid, were shamed of, or
>for some other reason omitted the salary.  I don't understand the
>practice of not listing salaries with job postings.  Actually, I feel it
>is rude not to  include salary with job postings.   I wonder what are
>the thoughts of our colleagues on this?

I must add, Dennis, that I agree with you and wonder why institutions do
not post the salary range.  However, that decision lies above my head and
the institution's policy cannot be changed for my wishes.  I have a
position posted for a Coordinator of Tutoring Services, and the ad that
will go into the paper omits the salary range although it exists in the
announcement that I submitted to the H.R. office for their use.

So ----- don't hesitate to apply for a position when there is no salary
posted.  Instead, call the college first and ask for the range if you feel
that the posted salary may not be relevant for you.  That is certainly what
I would hope that interested candidates would do with our position....