Whoa!  Today is our 1st day of classes, & I really wanted to remain a
browser on this one, but Gary's lumping of students with LDs with young
people who are mentally retarded really threw me for a loop!  There IS a
definition of LD, and there ARE definitions of specific LDs, and many of
the students who enter college, even prestigious selective institutions,
with LDs are highly successful given appropriate accomodations.

I am not an LD expert, but for many years I have served as the liaison
between my institution's LD Center and the developmental education
program in which I teach.  My experience with students with LDs has been
overwhelmingly positive.  It is not a disservice to diagnose LDS, to
identify students for purposes of appropriate accomodations only, and to
provide the services they need, which also just happen to be mandated by
federal law.

Jeanne Higbee
--
Jeanne L. Higbee