Nancy M. Bailey wrote:

> Happy New Year to everyone.  I have read with great interest  any and
> all comments that have been made on the list in regard to reading
> assessment tools used for placing freshmen  into developmental
> reading classes.  If possible, I would like to reopen that discussion
> by asking  a few questions:  Does anyone out there use the ASSET as
> such a placement tool?   Is it possible to use the ASSET in such a
> manner?  If so, how reliable are your results?
>
> Also, I am wondering if anyone could give me an address or phone
> number of a supplier for Nelson Denny testing materials.
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.  Though I am most
> often just an "observer and listener" on the list, I find so much
> here that helps me in my daily work, and I do appreciate the
> assistance.
>
> Nancy M. Bailey
> Director, Academic Support Program
> Keuka College
> Keuka Park, New York  l4478

Nancy, we use ASSET for placement in reading, English, & math at
Isothermal Community College.  We offer 2 levels of reading, one course
that is strictly writing, one that is a reading-writing combination, and
2 levels of math.  ASSET is as least as good as any standardized test we
know.  For English and reading, it is more reliable at the higher end of
the score range than at the lower end.
        Our students place into ENG 090 with writing scores of 23-40, RED 080
with reading scores of 23-33, RED 090 with reading scores of 34-40, ENG
095 (the combination reading-writing) with score of 36-41 in both
reading and writing (otherwise, they have to take both 090-level
courses).
        We are planning to add an ENG 085--a combination reading-writing course
for people in the lower score range, especially in writing.  I would
LOVE to get recommendations from anyone who has had experience placing
students into basic reading-writing combinations using ASSET.

Vicki Covington
Isothermal Community College
Spindale, NC