Gary Probst replied:

While I like Richard's following excellent two names, I always think of the remark
made by Mark Twain.  "If a cow's tail is called a leg, does a cow have five
legs.?"

If you tell your friends you are taking Introduction To University Studies, the
friends will think or say you are in remedial reading.  Just like when community
colleges dropped the term community from their name and college changed their name
to university.

A college reading and study course should be developed into a course that will
help all students success in college classes.  The class should attract good
students who want to become better.  For example, exercise classes attract only
those who are already in good shape.  People who are not in good shape if they
start an exercise class usually drop out.

About a year ago I listed on this listserv over 12 different current methods used
in college reading and study skills class.  These current method are not going to
attract good students who want to become better students.  This is because these
methods of reading instruction have nothing to do with the skills required to
succeed in college.

If developmental/remedial (or whatever you want to call it) education is going to
survive, we must do as Richard suggests.

"Therefore, I strongly suggest that you create a new paradigm based in the
integrated or embedded model. Specifically, that means no separate courses for
deficient students, but courses that are helpful to all students."