Gary Probst wrote:

Check out the following web site.  For those who teach critical reading
skills, you could have a good discussion after each student determines
what is taking place in the card trick.

The following three step approach could be used:

Step 1:   Awareness of what is happening

The following questions could be asked:
What feelings did you have when you first saw it?
Were you impressed?  Why?
When did you determine what was happening?
What feeling did you have when you determined what was happening?
Now that you know what is happening, is it easy to recognize similar the
false information of this type?

Step 2:  Define what happened:
             Definition = term being defined + classification +
identifying characteristic(s)

Have each student write the following on an index card and submit it to
you.
a.  What is the classification?
b.  What is the identifying characteristic(s)?
c.  What would be a good label/term to assign?

Ask, "Why must we develop a definition of what is happening?"
        "Why are your definitions different?
          What happens when we have different definitions?
          Is it possible to have everyone develop a common definition?

Step 3:  Apply - recognize examples

Does your the government do this?
                      college - (WOW - remedial education)
                      friends
                      store displays
                      etc.

For each example that is given, go back to Step 1 and then ask

How did they do it?  Why did they do it?
How can you do it?  Why would you want to do it?

End by asking, "WHAT HAPPENS TO PEOPLE WHO CANNOT DETERMINE WHEN THEY
ARE BEING DECEIVED???"

 http://www3.mcps.k12.md.us/users/rsfay/magic/index.html

I would be interested in applications to remedial/developmental
education in college.