Lonna Smith wrote:

> but most do just fine.
>
> I think it's a disservice to stereotype students with learning disabilities.

Gary Probst replied:

Possibly we are not talking about the same student. This is because there is no real
definition of  the term "learning disabled."   I am talking about retarded
students.  These students cannot add, subtract, multiply and divide when entering
college.  They are driven to the college because they cannot drive.  They cannot get
a job.

I think telling a person they are learning disabled is a disservice.  It is like
telling a person they are physical disabled but keep trying to make the football
team.

In order to help a student who has been labeled learning disabled, he (most are
males) must be deprogrammed.  The best way to do this is to diagnosis why they are
having a learning program.   Usually, it is because they never learned the basic
vocabulary of the subject area. (Think for a minute -- What is the definition of
candy? You probably do not know it.  If you cannot define it, why is it you can
recognize candy?  The definition of candy will follow at the end.)  For example,
mathematics textbooks used in college developmental mathematics do not give a good
definitions of the terms used in the textbook.  Also, these books do not instruct
the student how to apply a definition to solving problems.  Most unsuccessful
students never want to read the introductory information in a math chapter. They
have found this to be a waste of time because it is impossible for them to
understand this information.  When students just want to work the problems in the
exercises, this is  because they do not know the definition of the terms used in the
introductory material.  Without knowing the definition of something, it is
impossible to have a concept of it in you mind.  You cannot solve a problem without
a concept of the components of the problem in your mind.

Just think of the definitions that are not learned in an English grammar course by
the students.  Many English instructors say you can teach writing by just having the
students write.  In order to understand the following, just think of all the
vocabulary terms that must be known:

Nouns and pronouns in the possessive case ordinarily serve as modifiers, but a few
pronouns take the position of nouns and function as subjects, objects, and so on.
    HARBRACE COLLEGE HANDBOOK, ELEVENTH EDITION

What is "and so on?"

A good study for a graduate class paper would be to compare the content vocabulary
knowledge of successful and unsuccessful students in developmental English and Math
classes.

Back to candy

Candy is a confection made by confectioners.   Are you learning disabled in candy if
you do not know the definition of candy or confection.  Now you know candy is
classified as a confection do you know candy's identifying characteristics.

You recognize candy by its location in checkouts or by signs that say "candy."  You
do not know the identifying characteristics that permit you to tell the difference
between candy and concrete.
This is similar to a student who recognizes a denominator in a fraction by its
location.  When a student can only recognize a denominator by its location in a
fraction, he or she cannot tell in a word problem what number to use as a
denominator.

Sorry, I would like to give the difference between candy and concrete but I MUST get
back to my work.  Surf the net using the term "confection."  You will find all kinds
of good stuff.