I have developed tutoring courses at several colleges for various
reasons, ranging from start-up for a new writing center, to providing a deeper
knowledge of the issues that underlie tutoring in reading and writing (and at
several schools we proceeded with the idea that "all tutoring is language
tutoring," to recruiting tutors.  The courses were rigorous, effective, and
great fun--as usual when scholarship and experience are the motivators.  One
such course, at Bradford College, was called "Advanced Writing/Tutoring"
because in the curriculum at that time there was a need for an advanced
expository writing
course and many of the students whom I wanted to work as tutors (or who were
already working as tutors) wanted to take such a course.  At least two of these
former students are colleagues in LRNASST now.  The tutoring was a kind of paid
practicum--not included in the credit hour formula (the 3-credit Humanities
course met one night a week for 3 hours).  There were weekly writing
assignments, and each tutor also created a project to improve the writing
center: a set of handouts for working with students with rationale and
explanation of hew they worked; a handbook for tutors--one student even helped
to run and design the interviews for the following semester's tutors and
course members (including carefully developed role play and selection of
pre-interview materials).  The course and the job was in great demand because
this was such an articulate and appealing group of students.

That's just one example--I also did a similar project at Bentley College, a
business college, with more emphasis on customer service issues.

Here at Mass Bay Community College, I helped to design a tutor training course
which has been redesigned by others many times since then.  This course is one
credit, because of the way credits work in programs at MBCC.  It was hard to
fit the whole curriculum I wanted into 15 hours.

The best thing about these courses is that they help to create a learning
community for tutors--and for me as a teacher trying to understand and examine
my own practice.

I have used various books for this course, A Sourcebook for Writers is one--and
I used One on One other times.  It as good roleplays in the back.