On 12 Apr 99 at 9:32, Dr. Karen Smith wrote:

> We shouldn't ignore the fact that, in all probability, the community
> college faculties do a far better job -- on the whole -- in teaching
> students with developmental course needs than university faculty do.
>  There are exceptions, of course, but the huge majority of
> university faculty are interested in gaining tenure, which largely
> has nothing to do with teaching....

Except some community colleges also grant tenure, and some
universities (e.g. Valdosta State U., Georgia) have developmental
studies programs in which the faculty are not eligible for tenure.  I
don't want to slam community colleges because I have taught at some
and agree that they do a wonderful job.  Perhaps the difference is
not CC vs. university but how the developmental courses are assigned.
 I seem to recall someone at a developmental studies research
conference a few years ago saying the most effective DS programs were
in institutions that had a centralized DS department or division.
When faculty concentrate on developmental courses, instead of being,
say, the junior math department faculty member who drew the short
straw that semester, there is, IMHO, a greater likelihood of success
because the faculty member actually cares and believes that it's okay
for the developmental student to have been admitted to the school.
Of course this is just another gross generalization with plenty of
exceptions.

(Here in Tennessee we're just worried about funding, period.  The
legislature and the governor are at odds about how to restructure the
tax system.  Even though the economy is good, we face a big budget
deficit next year unless something changes.  And guess what will see
the biggest budget cut, according the governor?  Higher education at all levels!)

Daryl Stephens  <[log in to unmask]> <http://www.etsu.edu/devstudy/>
Instructor of Developmental Math, East Tennessee State University
Box 70620, Johnson City, TN 37614
*New* office phone (423) 439-4676   Fax:  (423) 439-7446