Date:     Sun, 11 Apr 1999 00:01:57 -0400
Sender: Medical Education Research and Development <[log in to unmask]>
From: Automatic digest processor <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  DR-ED Digest - 9 Apr 1999 to 10 Apr 1999 (#1999-87)
To: Recipients of DR-ED digests <[log in to unmask]>

There is one message totalling 121 lines in this issue.

Topics of the day:

  1. Thoughts Regarding Teaching/Learning

Date:    Sat, 10 Apr 1999 15:32:22 -0500
From:    "Richard J. Iuli" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Thoughts Regarding Teaching/Learning

Two books that may be of interest to a number of you, and that would
encompass Tim's Principles of Learning as part of a formal theory of
education:

Teaching Science for Understanding: A Human Constructivist View.  1998.  J.
Mintzes, J. Wandersee & J. Novak (Eds.)  Academic Press: New York.  ISBN:
0-12-498360.

Learning, Creating, and Using Knowledge.  1998.  J. Novak.  Lawrence
Erlbaum: Mahway, NJ.  ISBN: 0-8058-2626-2

I have also included Novak's Principles of Education (in bold type) to
complement Tim's.

Tim Jordon wrote:
>Principles of Learning:
>
>1.  Learning takes places only when the learner is ready to learn.

MEANINGFUL LEARNING REQUIRES A DISPOSITION TO LEARN MEANINGFULLY.

>2.  People learn best when they do something that seems worthwhile to them.

HUMANS THINK, FEEL AND ACT.  THINKING, FEELING AND ACTING ARE INTEGRATED,
FOR BETTER OR WORSE.

>3.  A good story will communicate more effectively than 20 lectures.

MEANINGFUL LEARNING REQUIRES MEANINGFUL MATERIALS.  CONTEXT HAS A STRONG
INFLUENCE ON LEARNING AND TRANSFER OF LEARNING.

>4.  It is the learner who should determine the direction of the content,
>not the teacher.

INSTRUCTION SHOULD BE PLANNED THROUGH CAREFUL ANALYSIS OF [LEARNERS']
RELEVANT KNOWLEDGE.

>5.  Individual differences make it necessary for teachers to teach
>different people in different ways.

THERE IS AN ORTHOGONAL RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE MEANINGFUL-ROTE AND
DISCOVERY-RECEPTION LEARNING CONTINUA.

>6.  Only those things which a person has thought for himself/herself are
>truly his/hers.

EDUCATION LEADS TO A CHANGE IN THE MEANING OF EXPERIENCE.

>7.  Memorizing is not necessarily learning.

ROTE-MODE LEARNING IS VERBATIM, ARBITRARY AND NON-SUBSTANTIVE.

>8.  When we learn, we learn "all over" . . . we learn with our feelings,
>attitudes, body, as well as with our minds.

POSTITIVE FEELINGS, ATTITUDES AND VALUES ARE ROOTED IN MEANINGFUL LEARNING.

>9.  Learning is most effective when it is put to use immediately.

MASTERY-MODE LEARNING USING CRITERION-REFERENCED EVALUATION IS GENERALLY
MORE DESIREABLE THAN CONVENTIONAL COMPETITIVE INSTRUCTION USING
NORM-REFERENCED EVALUATION.

>10.  Teaching is helping the learner to experience . . . then to use new
>skills through experiences.

LEARNERS DO NOT UNDERSTAND THEIR COGNITIVE LEARNING PROCESSES.

>11.   Learners are more ready to learn if they know the reason why;  the
>purpose of the new idea; or a way of applying the new idea.

EVENT-CENTERED, CONSTRUCTIVIST EPISTEMOLOGY PLACES EMPHASIS ON LINKING
THEORY, PRINCIPLES, AND CONCEPTS TO RECORDS, RECORD TRANSFORMATIONS, AND
KNOWLEDGE AND VALUE CLAIMS THROUGH QUESTIONS REGARDING THE EVENT OR OBJECT
UNDER CONSIDERATION.

>12.  Personal contact is considered by many to be the best way to
>communicate ideas from one person to another.

FAIRNESS, RESPECT AND HONESTY ARE CARDINAL PRINCIPLES IN EFFECTIVE
TEACHING.  CONSTRUCTIVE CARING FOR OTHERS REQUIRES HONESTY, OPENNESS, AND
COMMITMENT TO UNDERSTAND OTHER'S COGNITIVE AND AFFECTIVE CONCERNS.

>13.  Knowledge is what the learner knows AFTER  he/she has learned.

MEANINGFUL LEARNING UNDERLIES THE CONSTRUCTIVE INTEGRATION OF THINKING,
FEELING AND ACTING LEADING TO HUMAN EMPOWERMENT.

>14.  The best teaching occurs when teachers and learners work together to
>answer questions that neither of them have the answers for.

HIGHLY EFFECTIVE TEACHERS WORK FROM STRONG THEORETICAL FOUNDATIONS.
COOPERATIVE LEARNING STRATEGIES ARE EFFECTIVE.  THE MEANING OF EXPERIENCE
RESULTS FROM THE NEGOTIATION OF MEANING BETWEEN TEACHER AND LEARNING
(ARRIVE AT A SHARED UNDERSTANDING).

>(Many of these principles were learned from the excellent example of Dr.
>Susan Telljohann, Professor of Health Education, University of Toledo,
>Toledo OH).

THANKS TIM!

Richard J. Iuli, Ph.D.             METACOGNITIVE TOOLS
Coordinator of Academic Support Services    /                     \
Office of Academic Affairs               CONCEPT MAPS    VEE DIAGRAMS
Medical College of Wisconsin                     the                     the
8701 Watertown Plank Road                  ROUTE              BLUEPRINT
Milwaukee, WI 53226                               to                       for
(414) 456-8583                                MEANINGFUL     CONSTRUCTING
Fax: (414) 456-6506                           LEARNING          KNOWLEDGE
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

End of DR-ED Digest - 9 Apr 1999 to 10 Apr 1999 (#1999-87)