I never understood the reasoning behind this
concept.  Training is my preference, partly
because I see tutoring as a service to the
University, not a way to generate income.  Think
about it, at some schools a student would be
paying as much in tuition for that one course as
they would make in a year of tutoring.  Unless it
counts toward a requirement at the school, other
than credit hours, that would be appropriate.  I
train my tutors, and I pay them for the time.

Let me ask you what for what reasons would you
create such a course.

1.  Generate money for your program?
That's a tactic used by many network marketing
schemes, a tactic which is seen by many as
unethical

2.  To help recruit potential tutors?
Actually this would be a good reason.

3.  To be more effective than just using training?
I think you can make training as effective as you
want.  I believe tutors will take training as
serious as a course.

If you do create such a course, I suggest you make
it free credit since you are probably going to
have them tutoring for free (That would be like
the lab part of the course).

I am sure that some will disagree, but I just
don't like the idea.  I look forward to hearing
some good counter arguments.

--
Craig Andres
Tutor Program Coordinator

"With willing hands and open minds, the future
will be greater than the most fantastic story you
can write.."  Charles Kettering.