From:
        "Rebecca W. Meredith" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue 5:34 PM

PsyArters,

I am looking for literature on the nature of any number of relationships
where one party serves as the idealized holder of knowledge and/or power
and the other(s) remain in a state of voluntary subjugation.  In this
case
I'm thinking fairly specifically of cases where the idealized party is
literally onstage as a guru (any kind, Anthony Robbins, Jesus,
whomever),
idealogical leader, even, in a relationship that I find fascinating, a
magician or illusionist (the connection to performance of miracles or an
elevated ability to manipulate reality is the connecting factor).  The
adherent often purports to be seeking a kind of enlightenment, when in
fact
everyone involved has often colluded in keeping the status quo.  In fact
the "guru" is given control of reality, and to ascend would be to
destroy
the illusion and the gratification of what seems to be not only a
regressed
but a masochistic need. There have certainly been enough situations
where
people have given up everything to maintain this childlike state.
Clearly
there are parallels to what sometimes comes up in an analytic situation,
but in this case the masochistic, and possibly sadistic needs on the
enlightened one's part, are being met rather than examined.

There must be articles available.  Suggestions?

Thanks,
Rebecca Meredith