Wow, I just got in on this string....I order from Amazon all the time.  I'm waiting on a book right now and I didn't know they keep your record on file.  That's terrible.  I'm going to cancel my account, as well, b/c I don't want everyone knowing what I've bought either!  Thanks for the info.

Marnie Dwiggins

-----Original Message-----
From: Maureen E. Garde [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 1999 8:04 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Fw: AMAZON V. AMAZON v. AMAZON

Since you are dumping on Amazon.com's lawyers (and
good for you), I thought I would take the opportunity to
dump on the company. I no longer buy anything from
amazon.com since I learned that they keep the information
on the books you purchase and refuse to remove it from
their system even upon request. Their justification is
"service," so that they can generate those "suggestions"
about books you may be interested in when you log on
to their site. I call this advertising, myself. I learned of this
when I logged on to check a pending order on a book, and
it displayed every book I had ever ordered from them.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea that somebody
has a list of the books I buy? So I asked customer service
to delete the prior orders. They said they can't, the only
way I could get them out of their online system was to cancel
my account, which I did. They said there was no way to delete
the information from their permanent files.

I now buy from the local bookstore, whether it is Border, Barnes
and Noble, or the little local shop. And I pay cash.

Maureen

Maureen E. Garde ([log in to unmask])