From: "Noelle Call" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re:      Course for tutors
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 08:34:13 -0600

Hi Richard,
Sorry, I am trying to send you a copy of our syllabus and journal and don't
know how to paste from two files so I guess you will receive two messages.
Hope this helps.
Tutor Journal

As one component of this class, you will be keeping a Tutor  Journal.  This
journal can serve several purposes:

First, your journal is a record of your experiences and your feelings as a
tutor.  In it you can comment on class presentations, discussions, and
activities, tutoring sessions, the students you are tutoring, problems
encountered, strategies tried, triumphs and frustrations and humorous
moments.  As such, it will be valuable resource when it comes time to write
your final paper.  And it will help to document your growth in teaching
skills and insights over the quarter.

Second, it is a place for to you reflect on and analyze some challenges and
apprehensions you face each week as you tutor.  Often in the rush of all the
things we do, it is difficult to take time to evaluate those strategies and
techniques that were effective and those that were not helpful.   The
journal writing process can help you to evaluate your tutoring sessions and
help you get the big picture of you as a tutor.

Third, your journal will provide an opportunity to ask questions as they
occur and will give the instructor a chance to get to know you better and to
give you some feedback on your experiences and your questions.

Week One: Introduction
Questions: 1. Tell a little about yourself.  What are your education goals?
What are your professional goals?  What are your strengths as a learner?
What personal accomplishment has given you the most satisfaction?  What in
life is most important to you?
  2. Why did you decide to tutor?
  3. What do you want to learn in the tutor training class?
  4. What individuals(parents, teachers, friends, etc.)have had the greatest
impact on your intellectual curiosity?   Explain how they have influenced
you.
  5. Describe your "ideal" teacher.  What personal characteristics does this
teacher possess?  What does this teacher do, both inside and outside the
classroom, that makes him/her "ideal?"
  6. What qualities of your "ideal" teacher do you hope to bring to your
tutoring?

Week Two: Tutoring Do's and Don'ts - Beginning & Ending a Session - Tutor
Cycle
Questions: 1. What section of the tutor cycle do you find most difficult to
implement? Why? What part of the cycle do you find helpful to your tutoring?
Please give examples.
  2. What strategies can you use to get the student to reflect on the
material and ask questions?
  3. What additional advice about tutoring would you give a new tutor?
  4. How did tutoring go this week?

Week Three: Active Listening/Communication
Questions: 1. How successful have you been at implementing this week's
listening skills into your tutoring session?
  2. What interesting or surprising information did you learn about yourself
as a listener?
  3. Describe a time when effective listening or communication solved a
problem in a tutoring session or in another type of interpersonal encounter.
Or give an example of how ineffective communication caused a problem for
you.

Week Four: Learning Styles
Questions: 1. How well did your Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator results match
what you believe is your "true" type?
  2. Describe your preferred learning style and study habits.
  3. What kind of problems might you encounter in working with a student
whose learning style and study habits are very different from yours?
  4. How might you overcome those barriers?
  5. How did tutoring go this week?

Week Five: Problem Solving/ Critical Thinking Skills
Questions: 1. Employers stress that problem-solving abilities are one
essential quality that they look for in college graduates.  Why do you think
this ability is so crucial?
  2. "To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom."  Bertrand Russell -
Regarding your own learning and education, discuss how you can apply this
quote to your own personal experience.
  3. Describe your most satisfying tutoring session.  Why do you feel that
this session was effective?
    4. What,  if anything would you like to change about your tutoring
experience?

Week Six: Test Taking and Test Anxiety
Questions: 1. What is your own experience with test anxiety?  If you do not
suffer from this problem, then why do you not have it?  Can you share an
example of someone you know who suffers and how this affects their
performance?
  2. Explain any test anxiety strategies that have been useful for yourself
or others.
  3. How did tutoring go this week?

Week Seven: Special Needs Students
Questions: 1. Take a few minutes to consider the people/things which have
made you what you are today.  These include not just the traditional aspects
(i.e. age, gender, ethnicity, race, national origin, religion, physical
qualities, physical/mental abilities, cultural orientation etc.), but also
other aspects (i.e. family, friends, neighbors, community, school, work
experiences, music, media, events, and others).  Write about these
influences in relation to how you currently interact with others.  Possibly
you may want to include an experience that made you look at people
differently.
  2.  Before this week's class, what did you know or assume about learning
disabilities or students from other cultures?
  3. What interesting/surprising/useful information did you learn about
students with needs that are "different?"
  4. What tutoring strategies do you believe would be effective when
tutoring a student in your discipline who has a learning disability or from
another culture  that involves either reading or math?

Noelle Call