From: "Noelle Call" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re:      Course for tutors
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 08:38:56 -0600

Here is the syllabus.  I found the tutor training manual put together by
Paul Treuer at the Univ. of Minn, Duluth very helpful.  It was very
inexpensive at the time. His e-mail is [log in to unmask]  good luck
CERTIFIED TUTOR TRAINING COURSE

Instructor: N. Call
Office: TSC 302
Phone: 797-1194/ e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Hours:  By appointment
Credit: MHR 2160   One hour    P/F

Course Objective:
  To train qualified tutors to become effective peer tutors of other
students. Trained  tutors can lead students to mastery of course knowledge
and the ability to develop learning strategies for future courses. Trained
tutors can demonstrate positive leadership skills as they work with students
to solve their learning problems.

Course Description:
 This class will prepare both new and experienced tutors to become more
effective in the tutoring process.   The course philosophy  states that the
tutor's job includes  helping the student with the content matter of a
particular subject, and  helping  the student gain skills that will increase
their overall learning strategies.  Tutoring requires the skills of
assessing where a student is having difficulty with a subject, "teaching"
problem  areas, and giving the student skills to continue to learn the
material without a tutor. Tutors are offered the skills to become a role
model to other students as they work to explore ways to solve their students
learning problems.  Completion of this course will enable students to lead
others in the basic skills of effective tutoring.  In this course we will
address these skills through formal instruction, readings, discussion,
practice and observation.

 The course includes lectures, experiences,  discussion, and observation
designed to develop skills in effective tutoring.  Tutors try out many
activities with their students, they then reflect on the outcomes in writing
and class discussions.  Besides the structured content, the class provides a
forum for discussion of the difficulties that Tutors encounter.  Suggestion
circles, brainstorming, role-playing, and shared experiences are some
problem-solving methods used.  Tutors are encouraged to work together and to
support each other while developing effective tutor techniques.

 Tutors will have the opportunity to earn  nationally recognized Tutoring
Certificates for Level 1 - Tutor.
Prerequisites:
 To enroll in this class students must have the approval of the Director of
the Academic Resource Center, have a B average, and a B+ or better in the
actual courses that are to be tutored, or documented equivalent experience.
A current transcript must be on file with the Director of the Academic
Resource Center.
Materials: Purchase the ARC Tutor Training Manual at the Copy Center in the
TSC.  Read and  complete assignments before each class.

Attendance:
 To meet the Tutor Certification requirements, students must have 15 hours
of instruction.  It is mandatory that you attend class as making up the
information from class will be difficult.  If an emergency problem does
arise, please let the instructor know before class so we can create a
possible solution to make up the classtime.

Grading:
 Grades will be based on the written assignments,  tutor training journal,
observation, certification of tutor hours, participation in class,  and a
final paper.   This class must meet national tutor standards and it is
important that students meet the higher level of quality required by the
certification program. This is a Pass/Fail class, with  a grade of 80
percent required to pass.

5 written assignments     250 points
Observation       25 points
Certification of Tutor hours       25 points
Journal     250 points
Final Paper     100 points
Participation     200 points

Requirements:

  Five written assignments based on case studies of tutor situations.  Each
case study has discussion questions. You should type the answers  in
paragraph format.  We will discuss the responses in the following tutor
class.

  A certification requirement is that all tutors be observed a minimum of
two times each semester.  Included in the process is a follow-up conference.
The instructor or the teaching assistant for the class will do the
observations.

  A major requirement for Level I Certification is 30  hours of tutoring.
The hiring department or the tutor class instructor certifies hours.  Some
departments require tutors to keep records.  If you are not in a tutoring
program, the course will create record keeping requirements for you.  We may
prorate hours and award certification in a subsequent semester.

  Keep a journal notebook (See attached paper) This is due each week of the
course.

  A final paper. Several formats are available and we will discuss these
later.

  The class requires active participation of all students.  We award points
each class discussion on your being prepared for class,  willingness to
participate in discussions, ask questions, and share your application of
techniques in your tutor sessions.   There will be specific "homework" that
we will discuss in the following class session.
If a student has a disability that will likely require some accommodation by
the instructor, the student must contact the instructor and document the
disability through the Disability Resource Center.  In cooperation with
Disability Resources, course material may be provided in alternative formats
such as large print, audio, diskette, or Braille.

 Tutor Class Outline - Fall 1999
 (The instructor reserves the right to alter the syllabus outline)

Date Subject Assignment Reading
September 28 Introduction to the field
Get Acquainted
Tutor Roles, Ethics
My Own Study Skills Begin Journals
Complete Case Study #1: Getting to Know You
Do LASSI on the Web Manual pg. 1-22
Case Study #1 Pg.. 70
October 5 The Tutor Cycle
Discuss LASSI results Journal
Case Study #2 Dependency Manual Pg. 22-25
Case Study #2 Pg.. 73

October 12 Active Listening -
Counseling Center Journal/ Complete Keisei/Bates handouts Manual - Pg..
38-39
Case Study #3 p. 76
October 19 Learning Styles and Tutoring Style Case Study #3 Plagiarism
Manual - pg. 34-38
Case Study #3 pg.. 76
http://www.demon.co.uk/mindtool/memory.html
October 26 Learning and Memory - Critical Thinking Skills Journal Manual
Pg.. 34-38
http://www.d.umn.edu/student/loon/acad/strat/test_take.html

November 2  Test Taking Strategies Journal/ Case Study #4 Working with
Disabilities, Case Study #5 Ethnic Semester Manual - pg. 46-59
Case Study #4 pg.. 78
Case Study #5 pg.. 87
November 9 Special Needs Learning Styles - DRC staff and Multicultural
student Services Journal
November 16 Present Final Project

 Tutor Training Class
  Checklist Sheet: Fall 1999

Name:_________________________Subject Area:_____________________

Journals (Note due dates)
 October 5
 October 12
 October 19
 October 26
 November 2
 November 9

Case Study(Note due dates)   Observations:
 #1 October 5     1.  Date:_____________
 #2 October 12     2.  Date:____________
 #3 October 26
 #4, #5 November 2

Hours Turned In for the Semester (30 required for certification)

Student Evaluations (four  required)
1.  Date________

Noelle Call