Bruce-
Currently our Academic Support Center has both walk-in and appointment
tutorial assistance.  However, the walk-in is limited to a Math Table and
a Writing Table.  The hours of these tables are limited, but students come
to them regularly.  The appointments are with either a peer or professional
tutor.  Walk-in situations seem to work best with students who don't have
serious issues with writing/reading/math, but just need a little pick-me-up or
answer to a problem or a final editing of a paper.  Others seem to do best
with appointments.  We limit our students to 1 hour per week of assistance.
For some they use only 30 minutes.  Others use two 30 minute appointments.
While others use a solid hour.  We try to look at the individual and see what
works best for their unique learning needs.
Hope This Helps!
Pat