At UTEP we offer regularly SI-sessions to courses in Nursing. For one
course we need tutors in their final semester before graduating. These
tutors need to do a lot of clinical work, but they enjoy offering the SI,
because the instructors encourage them and give them feedback. The tutors
learn that their work is valued by the instructors and the students. When I
hire the SI-leader I also stress the opportunity given to them through the
SI to review a difficult course. Some applying students even come with this
intention in mind to become the SI-leader for this course. But I only
choose in close cooperation with the instructors. Gertrud Konings.

At 08:08 AM 10/10/99 -1000, you wrote:
>Like teachers, SI leaders need to value altruism. Thus, the satisfaction
>derived from helping someone learn and achieve a better grade is a
>motivator. Without altruism, money talks.
>
>rw
>

>Rosemarie Woodruff
>Counseling and Student Development Center
>University of Hawaii-Manoa
>2600 Campus Road, SSC 312
>Honolulu, HI 96822
>808-965-6114
>
>                The world is full of obstacle illusions.
>                                                         Grant Frasier
>
>On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Clinton, Linnae wrote:
>
>> I have to try and recruit an SI leader tomorrow for one of our spring
>> nursing courses.  The problem is that nursing students are really busy and
>> can usually make a lot more money in part time positions than I can pay
them
>> to be an SI leader.  So how do I entice them to work for me?  Any thoughts
>> on the non-monetary benefits of working as an SI leader would be
>> appreciated.  Thanks
>> Linnae Clinton
>> Edison Community College

Gertrud D. Konings, Ph.D.