Our Learning Assistance and Resource Center offers several types of
tutoring:
*       Developmental students in our Academic Development Program's
introductory English and math courses are required to attend tutoring, and
this semester, we have eight English tutors and three math tutors for these
students. They are graduates or grad students.
*       All students at West Chester University are welcome to come to the
LARC and sign up for a peer tutor in most general education 100 level
classes, and some 200 level classes (languages, anatomy/physiology, etc.)
We call the students walk-ins, and they have tutoring session one time per
week for 50 minutes.  They are often scheduled in groups of 2  or 3, so if
one doesn't show up, our tutors are still busy.
*       There are occasions when the student/s that the tutor was scheduled
to have can't come, and then we do pay the tutor for the hour.  Two
consecutive absences or three total absences will get the student dropped
from the tutors schedule.  We have a waiting list.
*       There are over 40 tutors this semester.  We could use more based on
student requests for tutoring, but we just don't have the space or money.
*       The LARC also contracts with the Athletic Department to provide
tutoring at it's required freshman study-halls.  We alternate Math/science
tutor evenings with writing tutor evenings.  Response has been good.
*       The LARC also runs SI in three math classes (calculus 1 and 2)
*       We will also provide workshops on an as-needed basis when we are
requested to present on specific topics.  For example, on Wednesday I will
review academic paper writing and the APA format for freshman Criminal
Justice majors.
*       West Chester University also runs a Writing Center where students
can go for help with any writing.  Students must call for an appointment,
and we encourage our tutees to use the writing center.  That way our tutors
can focus more on the writing process and organization.
*       Pay ranges from $6.50 to $12 per hour for most tutors.  Many of the
grad students are paid with assistantships.
*       Tutoring is in two locations and not scattered all over the place.