BEGIN COPIED MESSAGE
Date:    Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:19:37 -0500
From:    "Oppitz, LouAnn" <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Steve,
I have a rather unique situation.  Our college changed our e-mail addresses
in Aug.  I need to unsubcribe my address: [log in to unmask]    I have sent
in a new subscription under my new e-mail address:

I just wanted to clarify this issue in case it became a problem.

Thanks,
LouAnn Oppitz
END COPIED MESSAGE

Unfortunately, this situation is far more common than we think.  In the
past year or so I have had to update hundreds of subscribers because their
institutions changed the email protocols and the email addresses with them.

LoAnn has done what she can to aleviate the situation, but as it happens,
she can't unsubscribe her old address. I'll do it for her.

What can we do to help ourselves?
You can be alert about changes in your email protocols.  At the first sign
of change, you may request a conference with your postmasters and require
that a grace period be established so that you can unsubscribe from your
lists with your old addresses.

I will incorporate a "probing" mechanism that will verify address validity
on a regular basis so old addresses are removed automatically. As soon as
that is implemented, I will warn you all, so you know what to expect and
how to react.

Guillermo Uribe Ph D. Systems Support.
University Learning Center
University of Arizona