While we're somewhat on the subject....

We are finding that we are losing tutors to other departments on campus
who can pay more than we can.  Is this kind of department vs. department
competition typical?  It does not sound like a wise budget policy, when
departments have to bid higher and higher to round up the kind of student
labor they need.  Does anyone work at a school where there is some
sort of classification system for student employees or some agreement in
all departments about what student workers can be paid? Of course, I am
imagining that tutoring is valued more highly than some other kinds of
student work!

Jan Norton, Director
Center for Academic Support             Phone: (816) 271-4536
Missouri Western State College          Email: [log in to unmask]
4525 Downs Drive                        Fax: (816) 271-4574
St. Joseph, MO  64507                   Website: www.mwsc.edu/~cas