On Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:47:52 -0500 Becky E. Osborne said:
>On our campus all student workers receive minimum wage.  This includes our
>peer tutors.  We are advocating with our Board of Trustees to be allowed to
>tie the CRLA certification levels to an increase in wages, but that has not
>yet been approved.    We've used the same argument--as an educational
>institution our policies should reflect the value that education pays off.
>However, some still drag their feet insisting that "student" workers should
>all be paid the same across campus, apparently whether they're unpacking
>boxes in Campus Services or tutoring calculus. Obviously, I disagree.
>
>As I said in an earlier post, our professional tutors are paid $9.45.  At
>present we only have those two levels.
>
>Becky E. Osborne, MA/LPC
>Student Support Services Center
>Danville Area Community College
>2000 E. Main St.
>Danville, IL   61832
>(217)443-8702
>(217)443-8563 FAX

It's bad enough that society doesn't value education or any child
care enough to pay much for it.  But we as college administrators
reinforce that value when we don't pay tutors much.  A few years
ago while directing a learning center, I inherited a pay scale
of $5.00, $5.50, and $6.00 per hour for students in their first,
second, and third year as tutors, respectively.  Not only was it
hard to get good tutors, if they didn't show up and I told them
I'd dock their pay, they didn't even care because the money was
not enough to be worth it to them.

We didn't have professional tutors at our school, but a neighboring
school was paying $11 an hour for anyone with a B.A.  That was in
1995.

Annette Gourgey