I might suggest looking at Problem Solving and Critical thinking by Art
Whimbey and Jack Lochhead.  They use a paired problem solving approach that
can be effective.

At 12:25 PM 10/25/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I am in need of ideas.
>
>A philosophy professor teaching a course in Reasoning (logic) has just
>had some tremendously disheartening exams. I've seen some students'
>notes and exercises, and it seems to me he's done some really
>interesting stuff with visual learning--he uses something like a concept
>map to help teach syllogistic reasoning. IOW, he's certainly no
>dinosaur.
>
>Still, there is always a population of students who just can't seem to
>get it. (And that holds true for my own experience trying to teach logic
>in composition courses: some students always seem to be utterly baffled,
>and it's not for lack of trying.) This problem baffles me: logic should,
>to some extent, be easy to grasp. After all, is it so utterly alien to
>commonsense thinking?
>
>I'd like to believe there must be some way to reach the students that
>his methods aren't reaching. Has anyone out there found some workable
>approaches to teaching logic? I'm thinking that there must be some
>method more adaptable to aural or kinesthetic (or other) learners.
>
>Steve (peacenik) Runge
>St. Lawrence U.

L. Scott Lissner,
Director Of Academic & Disability Services

201 High Street                  (804) 395-2392 (Voice)
Longwood College                 (804) 395-2252 (Fax)
Farmville, VA 23909-1899         (800) 828-1120 (TTY Relay)