I am seeking comments from any of you who have experience with using
graphing calculators in developmental math classes. We are considering
implementing graphing calculators in developmental math at the University of
Memphis, and I am chairing a committee we formed to determine the extent to
which calculators should be incorporated into our algebra classes.  Any
comments to the following questions would be very welcome! Also, please
comment on ANY aspect of graphing calculators in developmental math. Thank
you.

Frederick A. Belton
Transitional Academic Studies
University of Memphis

1. How much class time must be set aside to teach keystrokes?

2. Do you require that each student buy a calculator, or do you just use one
in class for demonstrations?

3. Has use of calculators increased pass rates, retention rates or anything
else?  Any negative effects?

4. What degree of interest have your students shown in graphing calculators?