From:   Annette Gourgey [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Saturday, October 02, 1999 1:58 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: Myers-Briggs Personality Test Activity

John,

Thank you for your helpful comments clarifying how type interacts
with the format of testing.  It is helpful to see how this could
be connected in a way that is not simply a judgment that one type
is smarter than the other, but that there are different
ways of trying to understand and to express that understanding.

I'd like to pursue the testing issue further:  If intuitive types
do better on multiple choice tests, what format is preferred by
sensing types?  Do they like essays better because they can state
things in their own words, the way they memorized it?  And if sensing
types like to rely on having things in the same terms in which they
learned them, do they have a different idea of what "understanding"
is than intuitive types?  (Boy, am I revealing my own type bias here!)

Also, what are the implications for teaching--are we trying to teach
the same basic skills, but getting there a bit differently depending
on the student's style?  For example, I tend to teach the same
concepts and survival skills for understanding the concepts, but
use different language or examples or approach depending on what
seems to work with particular students.  But I wonder if I am still
teaching out of my own type, as if there is one way of understanding
a subject that works best if only everyone could get there.

As a statistics professor, I encounter the difference all the time
between sensing facts and intuiting possibilities.
In statistics, if you try to learn procedures without understanding
the underlying concepts, which can be abstract, you get in trouble
quickly.  I suspect that most of my students who have difficulty with math
and statistics are sensing types who have trouble
picking up the underlying concepts which are not spelled out
explicitly, so they try to memorize procedures without understanding
the reasons for them.  My classes have been more successful when I
spend time making the "why" explicit, along with concrete examples,
before I have them do a procedure.  Then they are surprised at how
"clear" it all is.

Annette Gourgey