Thanks to those who are responding re teaching technophobes.  Recently
we got an overhead arrangement in our computer lab, which should help.
Previously I had been sketching the spreadsheet screen on the black-
board so they'd know what it would look like and providing a handout
of what menu commands to click, step by step.  I've also tried to get
partnerships working.

I'd like to add to my question:  The part that stumps me is the
students who just refuse to try anything.  When I show something
on the board, they start complaining about how it's too hard for
them before they have heard what to do, so they aren't really
listening and then they don't get it.  Partnerships work when
one person is not afraid, but if both are, they will sit there
and not touch the keyboard.  All hands get raised at the same time
and they will not do anything until I come around and show them
personally.  In a class of 30 people this gets exhausting and there
is a bottleneck.

My classes have varied:  if there are only a few of these, the others
can show them and it runs smoothly, but if most are like this, it
can be quite arduous.  I think the ideal is to work with them
individually, but I can't always get around to them all.

It seems that this requires some orchestration to work well, which
I have not yet mastered.  So, I'm open to more suggestions!

Annette Gourgey