        We have a wonderful, cooperative relationship with our Continuing
Education (CE) department.  While there are remedial/developmental courses
offered within the academic departments for basic skills, sometimes
students aren't ready even for those courses. Perhaps a learning
disability or brain injury necessitates some extra preparation and
learning strategies, or maybe the student is very tentative and wants to
review skills below the level of the first available course, or maybe the
student's skills in an area such as math or reading are simply so low that
they are not ready for any regular coursework.

        For these special circumstances, we have four one-credit
independent study courses that we can offer through CE (reading, math,
English/writing, and study skills), with each student's coursework
designed and supervised by the corresponding professional staff member.
These courses are not available for general registration: only my staff
and I can approve registration in these sections.  The course is set up
based on the individual student's needs, with the general goal of getting
them ready for the courses offered within the academic departments.

        This arrangement with Continuing Education benefits everyone
concerned: it takes advantage of the flexibility that CE can offer, the
individualized assistance of the learning center, and the focused
preparation for the student.

Jan Norton, Director
Center for Academic Support             Phone: (816) 271-4536
Missouri Western State College          Email: [log in to unmask]
4525 Downs Drive                        Fax: (816) 271-4574
St. Joseph, MO  64507                   Website: www.mwsc.edu/~cas