I had to respond to this:

From:                   Steven Runge <[log in to unmask]

<3.  Writing results in a product. Reading does not.>

Writing results in a product, true; but reading results in a product-
ive life.  And, of course,  if it were not for readers, writers would not
exist.  I am just amazed that effective, critical reading is not a
requirement for every course taught from first grade to last.
Unfortunately, many college students can't read critically (if at all).
Of course, I'm preaching to the choir here, but I've been grading
essays--by students who can't write about literature they can't
read.  Forgive me.

Robin

"Education must not simply teach work--it must teach life."
                                 --W.E.B. DuBois
Robin Wright
Director of the Academic Assistance and Resource Ctr.
Stephen F. Austin State University
(409)468-1463