Charlotte,
We remodeled our reading lab about 2 years ago and explored the idea
of recessed monitors.  I did not think of the size of the monitors
changing at that time, but it's a good point.  We did not go with the
recessed monitors for fear of glare and for ergonomic reasons.  I
happen to have neck problems from (among other things) decades of
bending over books and papers.  We felt that having the monitor as
close to eye level as possible would allow students to work more
comfortably and safely in the lab (perhaps for longer periods of
time?).  We were drawn to the aesthetics of the recessed monitors,
but went with practical considerations instead.  Good luck!  Linda

> Date:          Wed, 27 Oct 1999 13:37:47 -0500
> From:          charlotte short <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       computer lab
> To:            [log in to unmask]

> We are in the process of putting together a computer mediated classroom
> and are investigating tables which would accept recessed monitors.  Has
> anyone had experience with these?  Also, from what companies are they
> available?
>
> *******************                             *******************
> Charlotte Short
> Learning Assistance
> University of Wisconsin-Parkside        Phone:  414.595.3334
> 900 Wood Road Box 2000                  Fax:    414.595.2181
> Kenosha WI 53142-2000

Linda S. Evans, Ph.D.
Director, Reading & Learning Program, SVC 2124
University of South Florida
4202 E. Fowler Ave.
Tampa, Florida 33620
phone: 813-974-9308; fax: 813-974-5089