Hello, everyone!

Thank you all for the advice, encouragement, and strategies for handling
the move of my program.  As you can imagine, I have been very busy over
the past couple of months trying to settle in and get the program up and
running again.  We still don't have furniture, but the Academic VP of
the College, after taking a tour of the place soon after the move,
decided to order some furniture for the program which should arrive by
the beginning of November.  He also gave us additional office space,
recognizing the need for privacy for students using our services, but we
still do most of our work in the open space (hallway) because the
offices are pretty cramped for space.

I have learned quite a bit through this process.  I have discovered that
many faculty are supportive of this program and that some have been
outraged (and vocal about it) by the move.  My Peer Counselors have
become highly creative in the ways that they attract students to the
program (even putting arrows on the walls and the steps of the building
that lead to our office--people have come in from curiousity).  Of
course, they still have to fight against the din of the game machines
and the noise and stench of the boiler room at times, but they are
determined to show the administration that this is a much needed and
well used program.

In the midst of recreating this program, a wonderful opportunity
presented itself to me and my husband, and I have decided to leave my
position here, effective October 21.  My reasons for leaving have less
to do with the move and more to do with following my heart.  We are
going to work at the Milton Hershey School, a K-12 boarding school for
orphaned and disadvantaged children.  It's especially exciting for me
because, from my years of working in TRIO programs, I know how academic
and personal support as a child can impact success in college. Plus,
because of the support that school provides its staff, I will finally
have the time and the resources to work on a Ph.D.

I intend to remain subscribed to this list, at least for awhile, so I
can stay in touch with the issues in our field.  Thank you all for your
willingness to share information with colleagues you don't even know.
Just through observing your dialogue, you have been important  to my
professional development as a new director in the field.

Thank you,

Patricia D. Bright, Director
Student Resource Center
Washington & Jefferson College