Steve-
AMEN to everything you said.  Reading is the most sophisticated skill
anyone can learn.  It is more difficult than mathematics as it is not
cut and dried and there is no one set way of achieving the skills
involved.  Those who can read cannot figure out why those who cannot
read, cannot.  With the new termographic imaging and the human genome
project underway, and with the research that shows there is a missing
gene in poor readers, maybe someday we will have a society that is
literate and prefers books to TV.
Helen Sabin
Long Beach City College English department (Reading)  yes, we are a poor
cousin to this department!