> I missed this discussion while on vacation, but we too are very interested in this
> topic.

We have students enrolling who do not have basic literacy skills.  Our
question is
how low of a grade level do we offer curriculum for?  Do we have them
enroll in the
curriculum we have designed when we know they can't meet that level or
do we adjust
to fit student needs or do we simply set a cut-off level for enrolling?

Another related question:  What test or screening do you use?
We have a particular issue for people at or below 4th grade reading
level.  We use
Nelson-Denny (G & H) as our standard reading placement instrument but
whether a
student misses 15/38 (for a raw score of 30) or  every single question,
it still
gives a GE of 4.1.
We have also found that even using the extended time administration that
many
students can't complete all the items (especially ESL students) and
their GEs come
out too low.