It's frustrating to me, too, and I'm afraid it accurately reflects the values
of my college. Students who are hired to give campus tours to prospective
students get about $1 more PER HOUR than our tutors. Sadly, I think it's
clear that we're more interested in getting students to enroll than
supporting them once they are here so that they can succeed and continue. And
with the current low unemployment rate, it's really difficult to get good
tutors (especially when even McDonald's pays more than we do).
Dean Mancina, Golden West College, Huntington Beach, California