Dean,
Your comments answer the question raised by others on this list serv
about books vs. bombers.  The money for education does not exist because
the population at large does not support it.  Education is not valued
much by our society and that is reflected in teacher pay and tutor pay.
However, it is valued by many foreigners who know we have a good system
and who fight to get into our schools. My next door neighbors paid top
dollar for their home a year ago and then gutted it and totally refitted
it out with marble floors, new kitchen, baths, floors, windows, new
pool, landscaping, etc.  Who lives there?  Their 16 year old son from
Taiwan.  Reason he lives there mostly alone unless mom and dad come from
Taiwan to visit? so he could get into our high school and thus gain
entry into the extremely competitive Taiwan universities.  Graduating
from our high school guarantees that he will be accepted.  Let's hear
one for American educators even if we are the only ones cheering!
Helen Sabin