At my school, I have always tried to make the starting pay for tutors higher
than any other job on campus and fortunately that has been supported by the
Financial Aid folks in charge of student work.  I am also fortunate that I have
a student assistant budget.  I can pay whatever I deem fair, meaning I adjust
the number of hours according to the amount of the budget rather than the pay.
I think this is particularly important in a women's college. Since this country
has a history of exploiting women workers, we should be that last place to
continue that exploitation.  All that said, our starting pay is a measily
$6.00, three dollars less than the starting pay published for a local
convenience store.  The assistants do get paid for training time, but so so the
convenience store workers.

This conversation is making me re-think my policy on wages.  Perhaps I've been
too conservative and we can work with fewer hours in order to pay a more
realistic wage.  Thanks to everyone who has helped nudge my creaky old brain to
a new point of view!

Do you think that repealing compulsory education laws might effect a change in
attitude toward education and educators?  I'm trying to think of how change
might be effected in the entrenched attitudes across the country.