Yes, I work at a school with a classification system. Jobs are classified A,
B, C, D, with "A" being the highest paid jobs requiring the most training. My
tutors are classified as "B." (Pay range 5.55-6.55) I'm working on getting my
tutor-mentors (experienced tutors with lots of training who can serve as
resources for other tutors) classified as A-grade.

Within each pay grade are four levels. The grades overlap a certain amount,
so that a person with 5 semesters experience in a C-grade position might earn
a little more than a new hire in an A-grade position. Nice system--it
provides the opportunity of advancement within a position, and stabilizes
inter-department competition.

Don't get me wrong, we still compete for student-workers, but it isn't a
matter of money alone; it has more to do with perceived job-prestige, working
conditions, things like that, which stands tutoring in good stead. (And I
don't have competition from McDonald's in a village of 4,000.)

I agree: educational professionals are undervalued and underpaid as a whole.
And I will continue to maintain that we're competing with B2's. The same
people who lobby for military spending lobby against teacher unions and
federal spending on education. (BTW, the pentagon did not want B2's, but
congress shoved them down their throats. The unfortunate fallout of
unprecedented peacetime military buildup during the Reagan years is that we
have a huge mulinational armament industry that needs buyers, which means, in
turn, that congresspeople lobby for military spending so that jobs (at
armament manufacturers in their districts) don't go overseas. Unlimited pie?
No. Bombs vs. Books.)

Steve Runge
St. Lawrence U.
Canton (pop. 4,000) NY