We need both education and bombs. One cannot have one without the other. We
need education to build bombs (math, science, business, etc) and we need
to build bombs to preserve national security and our future so
our children will live to get an education. we do not have an arsenal to blow
up world over, many other countries are a real threat and we need to protect
ourselves and much of our bombers have been dangerously cut back as well. Yes
we must have both anbd yes head start programmes must be funded. I say cut
welfare, foreign aide, and politician perks like free vacations, presidential
haircuts, cut down on the use of gas in Airforce I and get rid of free cars
and postage
for politcians, then we can have our bombs, our education and give our
children the head start they need. France

===== Original Message From Open Forum for Learning Assistance Professionals
>Norman,
>
>Very interesting point of view! I wonder, though, whether both sides of this
>debate (whether or not one learns more effectively at one age than another)
are
>diverting attention from what is probably the real issue: whether or not one
>learns effectively when one lives in an environment that doesn't value
>education.
>
>The issue with Head Start & programs like it is not just whether or not
>individuals who go through it are able to achieve better, but also the slowly
>accruing bankroll of a good faith effort by our society to value the
education
>of groups outside the margins of high-rent neighborhoods with good schools.
>Slowly. These programs aren't designed to change society overnight.
>
>Adults who go for adult literacy courses are, by definition, motivated to
learn
>to read. Children under 3 who get preschool are not necessarily motivated. I
>would be curious whether the works cited in your post controlled for economic
>background or educational level of the parents, two variables that have, I
>believe, been shown elsewhere to have a far greater correlation with a
>student's later success than just about anything else.
>
>Either way, I'd want a little more information before I decided to scrap a
>program that, though it's budget sounds big, is the budgetary equivalent to 3
>1/2 B2 bombers. Let's talk about bombers vs. books, not books vs. books.
>
>(Instead of speaking in billions, I prefer to speak in the unit of B2's: an
>ironically apt name for a war machine that costs roughly 2Billion, and a unit
>that is useful for pointing out national budgetary discrepancies and
>priorities.)
>
>Steve Runge
>St. Lawrence U.

Je pense, donc, je suis, Rene Descarte
Chacun ont deux pays et un de ils est France, Benjamin Franklin
vive la France