That is the give and take.  If you use drop-in
tutoring, you have committed your tutor to be
there at that time and of course they should get
paid.  There are times when the tutors have no one
to help, and other times they have half a dozen
people they are helping.  I try to beef up the
times I know will be busy, which is usually at
night.

Kenneth Zech wrote:

> RE: LouAnn's question:
>
> "My question is what do other schools do when students don't show up for their tutoring appointments.  Are the tutors paid anyway?  I would like some input also in this matter.  How are tutors paid who work at drop-in centers?  Are they paid for just sitting there or only for the time they spend helping  someone?"
>
> Most of our tutoring is done by appointment.  When a student doesn't show up in 10 minutes, the tutor has the choice of leaving and we will pay for the first  hour, or the tutor can stay and listen to or view one of tutor training audio- or video-tapes (each with an accompanying exercise) and be paid for the full hour.  The tutor doesn't lose a work hour, and we are able to accomplish a little more training.
>
> Our drop-in tutors are paid whether anyone shows up or not.  Most of the time (95%) there is traffic for the tutor because we schedule drop-in during hours that experience tells us should be busy.  If we see a pattern of low use over a period of time we will cancel that hour and try another.
>
> Kenneth Zech
> Instructor, Tutorial Services
> Reedley College
> Reedley, California

Craig Andres
Tutor Program Coordinator
(810)-762-9642
Kettering University
(Continuing the GMI heritage)

"With willing hands and open minds, the future
will be greater than the most fantastic story you
can write.."  Charles Kettering.