        This is really strange but I seem to be encountering the opposite.
Maybe it has
        to do with the fact that we tighten the academic standards here, for
probation,
and the students are well aware of that. Barb

 You have a point there. We are open admissions - anybody who can pay the
tuition is welcome. Unfortunately, not everyone who is enrolled WANTS to be
here. My students are an extrememly diverse multicultural and multiethnic
group. That doesn't seem to be part of the problem. I am also well aware of
cultural differences in speaking and relating, but this goes further than
that.Common courtesy to everyone in the room - instructors and fellow
students has been replaced with surliness and, yes, a sense of entitlement.
There is almost an aura of expecting to pass simply because they have
bothered to get out of bed and show up.
Of course, there is the wonderful minority that wants to be there that makes
it all worthwhile. :)

Jody Fernandez
Prep Reading and Writing Instructor
Hillsborough Community College - Ybor Campus
Based at
The University of South Florida
EDU 202M
974-1054