The Academic Resource Center at my institution has been administering
placement tests for a number of years.  We usually have several large group
(often 70 or more students)placement testing sessions for incoming students
(in the Spring and summer for the following September) and small group (10
or fewer students) at other times. We use classrooms for the large
sessions; the classroom setting sets up the proper tone for this
activity, I believe. Generally, math and English faculty assist in
administration, scoring, and reading the writing samples, so we can have
several rooms going at one time. I should mention that all of our testing
is paper & pencil, not on computer. We are basically pleased with our
system; everyone knows their role, and we can have 100 students tested
and placed in a 24 hour turnaround time if necessary (we usually like to
have a bit more time than that, though).

If you have any other questions, please contact me directly.

Sara d'Anjou
Director of Academic Support Services
Newbury College
Brookline, MA