When comparing tests of reading skills, one must be careful to design your
comparative diagnosis carefully.  Many reading tests are power tests, not
diagnostic.  You also have to compare the number of detail questions,
inference questions, vocabulary questions on each test instrument to get a
broader view of what each test is trying to accomplish.  Once that is
done, a sample of scores from each of the tests is necessary especially
where students are required to take two or more different instruments.
Once a correspondence line is established, you can talk about equivalence
of tests.  It is quite an undertaking.  I did thhis type of research once
with two other members of my staff to compare the TABE, Stafford and New
Jersey Basic Skills test.  We finally found a correspondence we were happy
with, but it took quite a bit or time and energy.

Jim

Jim Valkenburg    [log in to unmask]
Director, Teaching/Learning Center, Delta College
University Center, MI 48710-0002
(517) 686-9034  FAX (517) 686-4131