Jim:

I grew up in a time when militarism was MUCH more in evidence (WWII,
Korea, where I served). Nevertheless, school, with _in loco parentis_
still in place, was a largely non-violent environment. I could preach that
the current situation is a result of the unfortunate (and unconscious)
coalition of moralists and drug profiteers that prevents the passage of
reasonable drug laws, or because courts have taken control of the
classroom out of the hands of the teachers, or because of the enormous
number of distractions afforded by our affluent society... In truth,
probably all of these things exacerbate the problem. Moralizing about war
mongering does nothing that I can perceive to point to a solution.

John M. Flanigan <[log in to unmask]>     The equation is the final arbiter.
Assistant Professor, Mathematics                    --Werner Heisenberg
Kapi'olani Community College            The scoreboard is the final arbiter.
4303 Diamond Head Road                              --Bill Walton
Honolulu HI  96816                      History is the final arbiter.
(808) 734-9371                                      --Edward Gibbon