And then Jeanne Higbee said:
>On the one hand, I agree with many of the points you made.  However, locking
>students out is not always the answer.  <snip>
> When we lock students out, I think we are making a judgment before
>hearing the facts.

I agree with you both.
Perhaps a little context is in order, here. This college is 85-90%
residential, rural setting, and the professor mentioned always teaches at
8:30 a.m. Locking the door on late students works in this case. The lists
of excuses for being late in this situation is overslept and what else?
Couldn't find my other sock? I do not think that locking the door is
practical in all cases but it works here.

The point I wanted to stress before was that I do not think expected
behavior such as being on time and being polite and respectful of others
should be rewarded to be encouraged. I am not calling for a return to 'sit
straight, face front, feet flat' but I am not going to give points to
someone who does nothing more than act mature.

Yes, I agree that there are circumstances which are unavoidable. Hopefully
they are few and far between. But they can be dealt with as they happen. I
myself have always had the fortunate experience to teach small classes
(<30)  of students so I have gotten to know them, at least a bit. (Yes, at
the 8 a.m. time slot.) I have always tried to give individuals the benefit
of the doubt. But at the same time, I do not have 30 separate policy
statements for each student. I don't think I have ever been thought of as
overbearing either. Appearing fair may not be easy but being consistent is.

Andrea Motyka