Our developmental studies program at Sheridan College (Foundation Studies)
operates as a stream/option within General Arts & Science.  Most of the
courses are "core" courses (developmental), but as a carrot -- a taste of
post-secondary courses -- the program also includes GAS electives:  one in
first semester and two in second semester.  As coordinator, I choose from
the full offering of electives those which I think will offer students the
best chance of success as well as appeal to their varied career interests.
In general, they find them challenging; some find them exciting.  I think
it is important for students to experience the demands and the independent
work required as well as feel more a part of the college as a
post-secondary institution.  The credits earned in these electives can be
carried over as general education credits to many other programs.  This has
the added bonus of allowing students to later move into another
post-secondary program with a reduced load, a situation which should give
them a better chance of success.

At 02:46 PM 1999-11-01 -0600, you wrote:
>Listers,
>
>The Baton Rouge Community College opened its door to students in August 1998.
>After only one full yearof operation, the academic chairs have requested that
>developmental students be allowed to take only developmental classes.
After some
>heated discussions, interested persons on both sides compromised by
instituting
>the restriction for only those students taking developmental reading and by
>requiring faculty approval for enrolling in college-level math and
college-level
>composition.
>
>Several of us would really like to know what kind of course restrictions
are in
>place for your developmental students?
>
>Elizabeth

Judith Wintonyk,