Julie,

We use Foolproof Security (a software package that allows you to choose
what you want to lock out from your students). For instance, no one can
store or download onto the hard drive. They must use a floppy.

Unfortunately, we haven't found a way to keep students from editing
preferences in the browser, but we have removed AOL from the Desktop as an
option. Students who are in the know can still go and get it, but it's not
an obvious little icon anymore.

Good luck!

Sandie Miller,
Director of Academic Support Services, ACEC
Atlantic Cape Community College

At 10:13 AM 11/09/1999 -0600, Julie Jensen wrote:
>I manage a computer lab as part of our Learning Assistance Center.  Students
>seem to be more persistent this year than in the past about downloading
>programs from the Internet.  When my staff delete the programs, students
>just download them again within a few days.
>
>Especially "irksome" is AOL and Yahoo Instant Messenger. These handy little
>programs allow one to work on a computer and be notified immediately if a
>"cyber friend" has logged on and is available for a conversation.  Our
>technicians tell us that having students download programs from the Internet
>can cause problems because they can change the standards of the setup on the
>PC's.
>
>Does anyone else have problems with students downloading "stuff" to lab
>PC's?  Has anyone successfully remedied this problem?  Thanks, in advance,
>for your help.
>
>Julie Jensen
>E-mail:  [log in to unmask]
>Phone:  308-398-7481
>Central Community College
>Grand Island, Nebraska

"The illiterate of the year 2000 will not be the individual who cannot read
and write, but the one who cannot learn, unlearn and relearn."
                Alvin Toffler