Here in Hawaii, we have a state-wide competency exam students have to pass
in order to graduate. I understand it is "extremely basic" and not that
difficult. I surmise that if it were more difficult, the state would have
to support a large number of students who would have to stay back for
another year. And, there is the consideration that for some people, a
standardized, paper and pencil test does not accurately demonstrate their
ability. Thus, I propose (so easy for me since I am not in the Department
of Education) that students who do not pass the exam be counseled in
pursuing an avenue to remedy the deficiency. That is, provide them the
options and let them choose among a) staying in high school  b)
choosing a community college with open admissions and remedial courses, or
c) attend "transition school". Option C is a flight of fancy that will
probably never happen. Presumably, it would involve a smaller number of
students which would allow the teachers to tailor the learning environment
to meet indiviudal needs. Thus, there would be differing lengths of stay
in the program. For some students it might take a few months, for some it
might take a few years. I believe that one of the major factors in a
student's inability to read and write at graduation is the educational
system's inability to respond to individual differences. Students who do
not pass a standardized examination represent our inability to provide an
effective learning environment for all students. As I say to students who
may have learning disabilities, another perspective is that it is an issue
of our teaching disabilities rather than your learning differences. It
will not happen because it would take a lot of $$$. Perhaps this is a
niche for a private school (without the restrictions of a public
institution) between high school and college. Any entreprenuers out there?

Aloha,  Rosie

Rosemarie Woodruff
Counseling and Student Development Center
University of Hawaii-Manoa
2600 Campus Road, SSC 312
Honolulu, HI 96822
808-965-6114

                The world is full of obstacle illusions.
                                                         Grant Frasier