As an undergraduate in secondary education, I developed a test for
students at the highest level in high school ("college prep") in which
more than half of the students earned a D. In my naivete I had written a
test which asked them to apply the knowledge rather than just repeat it.

In my current work with college students, every now and then, I encounter
an high school honor student who is working hard but barely earning a C
or less in exams. This is where we discuss the importance of going beyond
the what level of understanding to why, how and suppose. When I ask these
students if an apple and banana are the same, they often say no. Then when
I ask, how are they similar, they come up with the category fruit. It is
not a matter of ability. It comes back to learning style/individual
perspective. These are the students who may be able to solve the problem
but cannot justify the approach. In the case of the at-risk students, we
need to factor in attitude/values which clash with the traditional
learning environment.

Whether a student chooses to work hard/effectively is beyond our control.
We can only provide the options/encouragement/support. We all recognize
that internal motivation is critical, but much of society operates on
external motivation. No wonder so many students are
confused/helpless/unmotivated. I like to believe that there are more
students who are succeeding than not. The good news is that there's plenty
of work for us to do. Which reminds me...got to get back to work.

Aloha,  Rosie

Rosemarie Woodruff
Counseling and Student Development Center
University of Hawaii-Manoa
2600 Campus Road, SSC 312
Honolulu, HI 96822
808-965-6114

                The world is full of obstacle illusions.
                                                         Grant Frasier