To add to the issue of motivation/acculturation, I wish to point out
that students are not monolithic.  We speak as if most of our
developmental students are 18 years old and just out of high school.
At my community college, most of my students are mid-20's through
30's.  They are highly motivated to change their lives and correct
the mistakes of the past.  They are not in the same attitudinal
place as the "kids."

Motivation is complicated, too.  My students are highly motivated
to make their lives better.  That doesn't mean they are intrinsically
motivated to love the math I teach them for its own sake.  I think
part of my job is to show them reasons it's worth valuing the
subject and to help them overcome their fears and defenses.
Sometimes that reaches them, sometimes it doesn't.  But I also
think they have a right not to like it in the end, and to be going to
school for different reasons than I did.  Ultimately their motivations
are their own business, as long as they know what is expected for class.

Annette Gourgey