I am co-leading a program called Multicultural Group Dialogue. It is for
talking to people from other cultures in a safe environment to promote
understanding, respect, and empathic connections and to develop personal
empowerment, inter-group alliances and social justice. It occurs to me
that we might all spend more time to simply have a dialogue characterized
by understanding, respect and empathy before we attempt to teach. In
counseling we learn the importance of establishing the relationship. The
same holds true for teaching/conducting workshop/training. Students who
feel empowered, connected to others, and hold values related to social
justice are not likely to cause behavioral problems in the classroom.

Rosie

Rosemarie Woodruff
Counseling and Student Development Center
University of Hawaii-Manoa
2600 Campus Road, SSC 312
Honolulu, HI 96822
808-965-6114

                The world is full of obstacle illusions.
                                                         Grant Frasier