> At Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Florida, it is dependent upon how
> many developmental courses the student has tested into. Students who only test
> into math, for example, can take any other courses they wish. Students who
> test into the early level reading and writing must take both levels of reading
> and writing before anything else, including developmental math. Students in
> any developmental reading or writing courses cannot take any courses that
> require writing in-depth term papers. Hope this is helpful.

Our restrictions at ETSU are similar.  Students testing into the
lower-level reading class are blocked from enrolling in most classes except a
few such as intro to sociology and intro to theater.  Students in lower-level
math classes are advised against concurrently taking physics or chemistry, and
so forth.  I don't remember where my list of blocks is or I would be more
specific.

Daryl Stephens  <[log in to unmask]>
Assistant Professor (math)
Division of Developmental Studies
East Tennessee State University
Box 70620, Johnson City, TN 37614
Office phone (423) 439-4676   Fax:  (423) 439-7446